Gorillas are large primates belonging to the family Hominidae, which also includes humans, orangutans, and chimpanzees. They are native to Africa and are divided into two species: eastern gorillas (Gorilla beringei) and western gorillas (Gorilla gorilla). And choosing Gorilla Names can be fun.
Gorillas are majestic creatures that share many human-like qualities, sharing about 98% of our DNA including the ability to form strong social bonds and exhibit emotions. As such, it’s no wonder that people have been naming gorillas for decades.
From researchers studying wild gorillas in their natural habitat to zookeepers caring for captive gorillas, naming these magnificent animals has become a tradition.
These herbivores also known for their strength and intelligence, lived in groups called troops. Each gorilla has a unique personality and we have compiled over 220 Gorilla Names idea if you want to name these beautiful beasts.
Check out the lists!
22+ Mighty and Majestic Gorilla Names for these Beautiful Beasts
A well-crafted name can help raise awareness and support for gorilla conservation, as well as provide a sense of ownership and pride for the community.
Here we have 220+ names and Ideas.
Best Gorilla Names:
When it comes to finding the best name for your gorilla, there are plenty of options to choose from this list.
these best gorilla names truly capture the spirit and personality of your furry friend.
so read the names say them out loud and choose that sounds the best among all.
Good Names For Gorillas:
Choosing a name for your gorilla can be a fun and exciting experience, but it can also be a bit overwhelming.
With so many options out there, it can be hard to know where to start. Luckily, we have plenty of good names for gorillas that are both unique and memorable.
- Afua – means ‘Friday born child’
- Sakakei – means ‘a flowering evergreen tree’
- Akinyi – means ‘born during forenoon’
- Turate – means ‘be proud’
- Teta – means ‘spoiled child’
- Folami – means ‘one who demands respect’
- Kofi – means ‘male child born on a Friday’
- Ubuhamya – means ‘testimony’
- Gasore – means ‘young’
- Imbuto – meaning seed
Names For Female Gorillas:
The first female gorilla that was named was a gorilla named “Kiki”. She was born in the year 1951 and lived at the San Francisco Zoo.
Female gorillas are some of the most intelligent and fascinating creatures on the planet, and choosing the right name for your female gorilla can be a fun and rewarding experience.
From traditional names to more modern options, there are plenty of great names in this list for female gorillas to choose from.
Names For Male Gorillas:
Male gorillas are known for their strength and power, and choosing the right name for your male gorilla is an important part of their identity.
From strong and classic names to more playful options, there are plenty of great names for male gorillas to choose from.
Baby Gorilla Names:
There’s nothing quite as cute and adorable as a baby gorilla, and choosing the right name for your new addition is an important part of their development.
there are plenty of great baby gorilla names in this list to choose from.
- Jack Frost
Cute Baby Gorilla Names:
If you’re looking for an adorable name for a gorilla, there are plenty of options to choose from this list.
These names are not only cute but also easy to pronounce, making them perfect for your primate.
Funny Names For A Gorilla:
If you’re looking for names that have some good humor in them, consider these funny names for your gorilla.
- Optimus Primal
- Mojo Jojo
- Big Steve
- First Mate
- Big Pete
- Chunky Monkey
Unique Names For Gorillas:
If you want a name that is unique and one-of-a-kind, consider choosing a name that is not commonly used for gorillas.
These names are not only unique but also have special meanings behind them, making them perfect for your special gorilla.
Cool Names For Gorillas:
Are you looking for a cool and catchy name for your gorilla? Look no further! From traditional names to modern options, we’ve got you covered.
Whether you want to give your gorilla a name that reflects their personality or one that simply sounds cool, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best names out there.
African Gorilla Names:
From traditional African names to more modern options, there are plenty of great names to choose from in this list of gorilla names ideas.
Names Of Cartoon Gorillas:
From the wise and gentle King Kong to the mischievous and lovable Donkey Kong, there are plenty of great cartoon gorilla names to choose from.
As we have shared a list of cartoon gorilla names for you to choose from.
- King Louie – This character is from Disney’s “The Jungle Book” and is a fun-loving, musical gorilla.
- Terk – Terk is a spunky, energetic gorilla from Disney’s “Tarzan” who is Tarzan’s best friend.
- Magilla Gorilla – Magilla is a classic Hanna-Barbera character who is a friendly gorilla that is always getting into mischief.
- Grape Ape – Grape Ape is another Hanna-Barbera character who is a giant purple gorilla that travels around in a tiny car.
- Donkey Kong – Donkey Kong is a video game character who is a gorilla that loves bananas and is known for his strength.
- Kala – Kala is Tarzan’s adoptive mother in Disney’s “Tarzan” and is a gentle, loving gorilla.
- Cobby – Cobby is a character from the Disney Junior show “The Lion Guard” who is a young gorilla that is part of the Lion Guard team.
- Gogo Dodo – Gogo Dodo is a character from the animated series “Tiny Toon Adventures” who is a wacky gorilla that is always up for a good time.
- Jabberjaw – Jabberjaw is a Hanna-Barbera character who is a talking shark with the personality of a gorilla.
- Gorilla Grodd – Gorilla Grodd is a DC Comics character who is a super-intelligent gorilla with psychic powers.
Names Of Famous Gorillas From Movies:
Movies featuring gorillas have been popular for decades, and some of these films have introduced us to unforgettable gorilla characters.
From the heroic Mighty Joe Young to the intimidating and powerful King Kong, there are plenty of great gorilla names to inspire you.
- Kong – King Kong is perhaps the most famous gorilla in movies. He is a giant gorilla who is the main character in various King Kong films.
- Ivan – Ivan is the titular character in the Disney movie “The One and Only Ivan”. He is a gorilla who is the main protagonist of the film.
- Mighty Joe Young – Mighty Joe Young is another famous gorilla from movies. He is the protagonist of the 1998 movie of the same name.
- Winston – Winston is a gorilla character from the movie “The Ghost and the Darkness”. He is a fictional character, but the movie is based on real-life events.
- Rafiki – Rafiki is a wise and mystical mandrill character from Disney’s “The Lion King”. Although not a gorilla, he is an important primate character in the film.
- Joe – Joe is the gorilla protagonist in the 1949 film “Mighty Joe Young”, which was later remade in 1998.
- Goliath – Goliath is a gorilla character from the movie “Gorillas in the Mist”. The character was based on a real-life gorilla named Digit.
- Kala – Kala is the adoptive mother of Tarzan in Disney’s “Tarzan”. She is a loving and maternal gorilla.
- Silverback – Silverback is the name of the alpha male gorilla in the 2016 film “The Legend of Tarzan”.
- Bokito – Bokito is a real-life gorilla who became famous after he escaped from his enclosure in a Dutch zoo and attacked a woman in 2007.
Drawing Inspiration for Gorillas Names
When crafting a gorilla name, it is essential to consider the animal’s characteristics and traits. Here are some ideas for inspiration:
1. Traditional Names: Many gorillas are named after their place of origin or traditional names from their native language. For example, Kwanzaa, which means “first” in Swahili, is a popular name for male gorillas.
2. Famous Names: Naming a gorilla after a famous person or character can add a touch of humor or interest. For example, Harambe, a gorilla that gained international attention in 2016, was named after a Swahili phrase meaning “all pull together.”
3. Physical Traits: Gorillas have unique physical traits that can inspire creative names. For example, a gorilla with a distinctive silverback could be named Silver, while a gorilla with expressive eyes could be named Peepers.
4. Personality Traits: Gorillas have distinct personalities, and their names can reflect their individual traits. For example, a gorilla that is playful and curious could be named Sparky, while a gorilla that is more reserved and contemplative could be named Zen.
Tips for Crafting Your Own Gorilla Name
Crafting a unique and meaningful name for a gorilla requires creativity and thoughtfulness. Here are some tips to help you get started:
1. Consider the Gorilla’s Story
Take the time to learn about the gorilla’s background and personality to craft a name that reflects their story. Consider their place of origin, their unique characteristics, and their role in conservation efforts.
2. Use a Thesaurus
A thesaurus can be a helpful tool in finding synonyms and related words that can inspire creative name ideas. For example, if you want to name a gorilla after its strength, you could search for words like power, might, or force.
3. Keep it Simple
A simple, easy-to-pronounce name is best for a gorilla, as it will be easier for researchers and conservationists to use in their work.
4. Test it Out
Before settling on any gorilla names, try it out loud to see how it sounds and feels. Ask others for their input and feedback.
- Gorillas are the largest primates on earth, with males weighing up to 400 pounds.
- They are predominantly herbivorous, but may occasionally eat insects and small animals.
- Gorillas are highly intelligent animals that can use tools and communicate with each other through a variety of vocalizations and gestures.
- There are two species of gorillas: the eastern gorilla and the western gorilla, each with two subspecies.
- Gorillas are given individual names by researchers who study them, such as Koko, Digit, and Titus.
- Gorillas live in groups called troops, with one dominant silverback male leading the group.
Gorillas are large primates that share many human-like qualities and are native to Africa. They are divided into two species: eastern and western gorillas. Naming gorillas has become a tradition from researchers studying wild gorillas to zookeepers caring for captive gorillas.
Gorillas are known for their strength, intelligence, unique personalities, and living in groups called troops. There are over 220 gorilla names to choose from, above lists. Remember when crafting a gorilla name, it is essential to consider the animal’s characteristics and traits.
What is the Famous Gorilla’s Name?
The most famous gorilla name is probably “Koko,” a female gorilla known for her ability to communicate with humans using American Sign Language.
What is a Nickname for a Gorilla?
A common nickname for a gorilla is “ape.”
What is a Daddy Gorilla Called?
A male gorilla is called a “silverback,” which refers to the silver-colored hair on its back that develops as they mature.
What is the Strongest Gorilla?
Male gorillas are generally stronger than females, and the strongest gorillas are typically mature silverbacks. These large males can weigh up to 400 pounds and can lift over 4,000 pounds, making them one of the strongest animals in the world.